Thank you Lorne for this
Black History Month is a time to celebrate the rich cultural heritage and immense contributions of Black individuals throughout history. It is a time to reflect on the struggles and triumphs of the Black community, and to acknowledge the incredible impact they have had on shaping our society. This month-long observance is a reminder of the incredible strength and resilience of Black people, and it is a time to show gratitude and appreciation for their contributions to our world.
Here is a collection of videos, books, and articles you can share freely with your teams to support their learning journey. There are an infinite number of resources, and these are ones I curated.
- Ibram X Kendi his book Stamped from the Beginning
- Isabel Wilkerson her books Caste and The Warmth of Other Suns.
- Tulsa Race Massacre of 1921: The History of Black Wall Street, and its Destruction in America’s Worst and Most Controversial Racial Riot
- Ibram X Kendi The difference between being “not racist” and antiracist (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCxbl5QgFZw)
- Ibram X Kendi: Stamped from the Beginning (https://bit.ly/3j3yl41)
- “Isabel Wilkerson The Great Migration and the power of a single decision” (https://bit.ly/3kD6TKA)
- Hulu has a new series on the 1619 project that just dropped,
- Netflix has dozens of films and even a whole category of Black themed pieces.
- “Teachers Struggle As Debate Continues Over Teaching Race During Black History Month” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44ahezsEZA8)
- “The Ferry: A Civil Rights Story | Retro Report | The New York Times” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q83SPoGjusA)
- “Monument Circle showcases Black History Month” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjk52yMXke0)
- “A look at the history behind Black History Month” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CToEEwgNNk)
- “Juneteenth 1865-2022: The Pursuit of Economic Equality” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soDrQpHz6jg)
- “Rebekkah Brunson on Why Black History Month Matters Now More Than Ever | The Players’ Tribune” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romyip3w4j4)
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. His Life and Legacy (https://www.history.com/mlk)
- “What is Black History Month and Why is it Celebrated?” by BBC (https://www.itv.com/news/2019-10-02/what-is-black-history-month-and-why-is-it-celebrated)
- Caldwell University Black History Month resources (https://libguides.caldwell.edu/blackhistorymonth)
- “Black History Month: A Guide to Understanding the Celebration of African American Culture” by The Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/2021/02/01/black-history-month-2021/)
- “The History of Black History Month” by The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) (https://naacp.org/find-resources/history-explained)
- “The History of Black History Month” by The History Channel (https://www.history.com/topics/black-history/black-history-month)
- “Why We Celebrate Black History Month” by Dr. Gemima St. Louis, (https://www.williamjames.edu/news/Why-We-Celebrate-Black-History-Month.html)